My first taste of "prison life". part 1

I was a young man when I joined the Singapore Prison Service. I was paid $190 per month as a Prison Rehabilitation Officer.
The Prisons department posted me to the Reformative Training Center ( RTC) where young offenders were kept.
My training started at the grounds of the main Changi Prison. It was a 3 month stint,learning basic law to using guns and even judo lessons under the Singapore champion Moorthy a senior prison officer.
The Prisons dept. allowed me and other staff to share a house or what we called then the prisons' staff quarters.
I remember paying $10 as rent.
RTC is still standing there today at Jalan Lembah Bedok. I don't know about now but it was 'home' to around 300 inmates.
Some of these young inmates' sentences ranged from 1 year to as many years as the President of Singapore wishes.
The ones sentenced to 'Under The President's Pleasure' were usually young criminals who committed major crimes like murder,kidnappings or crimes that would warrant the death penalty. Yes, they were too young to face the death penalty and so confined under 'TPP' ( The President's Pleasure)

No comments: