My first taste of 'prison life' part 2

After my 3 months of intensive training, I was then rostered for duty as a full fledged Rehabilitation Officer in uniform.
Before this, I was in civics and did not get much respect from the inmates.
There was once incidence that took place while I was on duty in my civics.
From nowhere, one of the inmates threw a stone at me.When I turned around, all the inmates were laughing at me.I couldn't figure out who was the culprit. Some of them were taunting me.They were testing whether I had the guts to deal with them.This was at the basket ball court and I was the only staff there.
Whatever it was, I told myself, I could not let the situation passed off without me taking any action.
They would have jeered at me and call me an " ah kuah", a term in Hokkien meaning "gay" or crudely put, balless.
I had to act but then who was the culprit? I had to be decisive and showed these thugs that I was not afraid of them.
In a split of a second,I caught hold of the nearest inmate and punched him in his face. Blood poured out from his nose. I did not feel bad because he was one of those who taunted me.
I caught hold of another one and kicked him in his balls. He let out a painful cry and fell on the ground.
By this time, the inmates numbering about 20 stopped taunting and jeering me. They knew I was a no nonsense newbie officer.
From that day onwards, the inmates began to respect me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interestg contents. I find it amazing though that u r able 2 blog this well...considerg that u might be 60-70yrs old!

Anonymous said...

Thank you and yes I'm in my early 60s.
John